Tuesday, April 22, 2008

El Dorado, Newsweek & Me

Someone name dropped me on the Newsweek blog about what is going on in El Dorado. Someone named "doniesgirl" said the following:

· Comment: Interesting that the name Merrill Jessop is mentioned. Does anyone out there realize that there is a Jessop Compound right here in Concho, AZ. they have been here now for about 10-15 years, and noone seems to care. They actually had one of their own, Moroni Jessop working in the local DES office at one time for several years. Wonder if all those wives were able to more easily get assistance then perhaps a non FLDS person? I've often wondered why someone is not looking into what is going on here, because it is a known fact around these parts that young girls are involved in the arranged marriages. And have noticed lately an influx of more FLDS moving into the area. Concho is a small, quiet town located in northeastern Arizona with a big secret. Approximately 5 miles outside of town sits what is known as the Jessop compound, fenced and topped with razor ribbon. Are they keeping people out, or keeping them in? That my friend should be the question of the day.


Here is my response:

Comment: This is the "Moroni Jessop" that was spoken of in the blog about a polygamous "Jessop Compound" in Concho, Arizona. I am so angry to see such blatant lies published about me. I worked for Arizona DES for 9 years, and I am sickened to think that it is suggested that I was sent by a polygamous group to "help" plural wives get on public assistance. First of all, the author of that accusation obviously believes in the propoganda & negative stereotypes perpetuated by the media & by hate groups. I can honestly say - and so can anyone who ever worked with me - that I helped PREVENT abuse of the system, rather than encourage it. The manager of the Saint Johns, AZ DES office can tell you that this office has ZERO cases of fraud or abuse of the system, because of my education of the other polygamists o be honest and not to lie to the government.And it is a "known fact" that there are young girls in arranged marriages" That is bullsh**t!!!! Our community does not and has never advocated, taught, nor practiced arranged marriages, nor do we believe in underage marriage. In fact, the thought of seeing MY daughers married young SICKENS ME!!!Next, we are not FLDS. We do not affiliate with FLDS. We have no ties with the FLDS. We have never had ties with the FLDS.In addition, we do NOT have a compound. There is a 40 acre ranchette that I bought with my mother and two of my brothers. And that is really all that lives out there.And we have a fence topped with razor ribbon??? What the hell is that all about? We live on range land. All properties in this area have barbed wire. Our property had barbed wire when we moved out there - most of the fencing in disrepair and falling down.Our fence is mainly to keep the cows out. Hopefully it will keep out cows like doniesgirl. You should do more research before you post garbage, my friend.I have alway lived my lifestyle openly and honestly. If someone wants to know the truh, all they have to do is ask me, not resort to Salem-style gossip.

1 comment:

Mormon(s) of another kind said...

I am discovering your blog, Moroni, so nevermind this very late comment.

That kind of hatred does not surprise me anymore, but it still makes me angry or/and sad. But you made me smile in parts of your response. Great job!