Friday, April 11, 2008

Dawn Smells Poo

So one good thing about the blogger putting out information for me is that I followed a link to a blog that Dawn is publishing in the UK about her experiences in L.A. So I got to read the post about her visit to our ranch. This is one of the things she posted about us:


"Last week, I was 6,500 feet up a mountain, miles into the Arizonia desert with a Mormon man, his two wives, nine children, dog Cookie, and a distinct smell of poo radiating from the manually pumped toilet.


"The sofa I was offered for a bed, usually Cookie's spot, was not sat on by five of the children - due to the youngest having urinated on it the week before - and the family meal of instant mashed potato, minced meat and salt flavourings, had my insides begging me to quit journalism, and get a much less liver clogging career.


"But the good points far outweigh the bad. The insight into the human mind and the paths that I crossed with people whom one would never usually even read about made every second of the discomfort worth it.


"It is quite a contradiction to come away from experiences like that feeling lucky but as I made my way back to civilization I knew I had just experienced something incredible."


Okay, the Smell:


Every time the wind kicks up, it sends up this weird odor into our house. It is not sewer. We believe that it comes from the wild cats that live under our house, but we are not sure. It was very windy while the film crew was here, and we apologized PROFUSELY for the odor.


The Sofa:


It is true that Cookie sleeps on the couch. We repeatedly chase her off, but the minute we return to bed, she is back up on the couch. Sara did fall asleep & pee on the couch. We are embarrassed about that.


When the producers originally wanted to have Dawn sleep on the floor (They originally wanted her to sleep on the floor!!), the girls were absolutely mortified. They were both offering their beds so that Dawn would not have to sleep on the sofa.


As it turned out, Dawn did NOT have to put her pretty head down on our sofa for any longer than ten or so minutes. She went & slept at Holiday Inn.


The Food:


The producers bought the food that we cooked. We wanted to make something simple; we settled on shepherd's pie. Dawn ate two servings.


Dawn's Fashion Sense:


We loved Dawn. She is totally a cool person, and we love her to death.


But the second half of her blog talks about her buying clothes for her shoot, and how she hopes that she will bring "colour" to our lives.


She says:


"I feel it is really important for me to go into these scenarios entirely as me, and not a compromised version of myself, with the hope of blending in. These worlds are so far removed from mine that I am as fascinated by their response to me and who I am, as to what I will discover about them.


"Maybe they don't care for clothes, and will think that I am materialistic and vain for dressing the way that I do. But this is all part of the fun.


"They get nothing but the real me, and even if they don't like it, it means we get to see the real them. Which no matter what I am wearing, will always be the most colourful thing on the screen."


LOL! What are we? Amish? There is some assumption that because of our lifestyle choice that we are not aware of the outside world. Temple pointed out that SHE was dressed more "colourfuly" than Dawn. See for yourself. That shirt is pretty loud! :)


2 comments:

Superstar said...

Hi Moroni. Tell Andrea her Tintic High friend says hello. Best wishes! :)

Unknown said...

Moroni,
I think you are quite brave to open your home. I look forward to seeing the show. BTW, baking soda will get the pee smell out of you sofa. I know this (sadly from having dogs LOL). Make a paste of water and baking soda, let it sit till it dries, wipe it off. Repeat if needed. Its the only thing that works!!!!!

Jacky
(from big love yahoo group)