Monday, October 6, 2008

Cool People Who Rock

So the way that mainstream Mormons treat me, you would think that I am the devil. And when you are demonized incessantly by a group of people, you begin to view them with contempt.

But every now and then, you come across an exception that makes you realize that there are good people (and bad) in every social structure.

Here are two examples of mainstream Mormons that rock:

1. My Wife's doctor:

My wife Temple requested that I delete this part about her doctor. Even though I didn't mention his name, she cares very much about his privacy and asked that I delete this part of the post.

But trust me - he rocks.

2. Local Social Worker in Concho -

She visits many of the small children in our community and checks on their development. She was in local Relief Society meeting and - again - the polygamists were being talked about in a negative way.

She told them, "I know many of the polygamists in the area. They are kind to me, and I don't like hearing people talk bad about them. If this is what Relief Society is about, then I'll get up and leave right now."

That ended the discussion. She rocks, too!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate people like this. They can identify that THEY would not adopt this lifestyle, but they are sympathetic enough to want to leave us to live our religion in peace and dignity.

* * *

BTW, my sister reported to me that some of my extended family is reading my blog and took exception with a sentence I posted back in June:

" Temple is in SoCal for the summer. Ew. I hate being a monogamist. How do you guys cope? LOL

Apparently it was assumed that this was a sexual reference. I suppose there are some out there who think that everything I think, do or say in a plural relationship revolves around sex. Trust me, my statement was totally innocuous and NOT about sex. Sheesh.

2 comments:

Disciple said...

Yes, those two people really do rock! May God richly bless them and open the eyes of those foolish, unthinking people to whom they spoke.

Yes, it is such a shame that plural marriage is reduced in the minds of so very many to the sexual aspect. Guess it just goes to show what these people think of when they think of any marriage - monogamous or polygynous. May the Lord open their eyes.

Mormon(s) of another kind said...

That is really cool -and yet, I can't stop thinking: THIS should be the norm, not the exception.