Monday, May 16, 2011

What I Did For Love...

After the French film crew left, they said that they were driving to Utah to film some stock footage of the Mormon temple, etc., and then flying home. It crossed my mind that they were going to film other polygamist families, like Dawn Porter had gone to Centennial Park after our house. Again, with the reticence. I wouldn't have cared if they were filming someone else. In fact, I would have made suggestions for them.

Even though Ted Anspach asked all the questions, he would not be featured at all in the upcoming documentary about my family. The segment would be called "Enquete Exclusive", and the TV personality who would be speaking about us is a man named Bernard de La Villardiere. You can check out the website here. As far as I know, they have not yet aired our segment. Ted said that it would be sometime in May. But I have tried to contact Ted and have received no reponse.

In the days that followed, I thought about the whole experience. It was much more pleasant, and we were treated with dignity. However, I am not naive to think that every experience will be like this. The media is fickle. Even though these French journalists were so NICE, there is someone I grew up with who lived several year in France and Belgium. He told me that I would be stupid to trust any French journalist.

As evidenced in my previous blogs, I couldn't help but compare it to the experience with Dawn Porter, doing the shows for British TV, TLC and History Channel. When I really think about it, the questions that both film crews asked were kind of the same.

But more importantly, my answers were kind of the same. The more I thought about it, it was kind of redundant. My response are always the same, on TV, and on the several online forums that I belong to.

It's like this - my dad used to say that he never liked taking college courses by the same professor. It only took one semester to clue in on all of the professors beliefs, platforms and stances. If you took another class with the same professor, you got just more of the same.

And that's what this felt like. More of the same. With the trouble involved in putting yourself and your family out there, on camera, it just didn't seem worth it anymore. I've said all that I can say in this forum. It's time to find another way to express myself.

Several days after the shoot, Martha took the kids to Sunday School. I wasn't feeling that well, so I was asleep on the couch. Martha was also going to pick up my daughter Sophie from her grandmother's house to spend the day with the family. I got a phone call from Martha. Sophie didn't want to come home, too much homework, or something like that.

"You're the parent," I said. "Make her come home."

A little while later, my nap was interrupted when Martha and Sophie came in, arguing loudly. I was irritated at being woken up in such a manner. But Sophie demanded to speak to us immediately.

The issue was not about having to come home. The issue was that we went in front of the cameras again.

"You're doing it just to get another wife," my daughter accused me.

That couldn't be more untrue. With my health and financial issues, I can't imagine any woman who would want to come into my family. Doing the interviews was NOT about adding to my family.

"Do you remember when your aunt Sarine sent the media after us, and they made up lies and tried to get me and the family involved in all their filth?" I told her. "I lay awake many nights after that, after the raid in Texas, just worried about that something was going to happen, that someone was going to take away the kids. There were people out there that were saying things about me, saying things that weren't true.

"I realized that if I did not speak up for myself, other people would speak for me. I needed to show them that I would not shut up, that I would not just sit by and take it. THAT is the ONLY reason that I went in front of the cameras. I'm not going to just sit idly by. Now people know that I am not afraid to say something about it. There is not any bullshit that they can pull without me speaking up, without me blogging about it."

"You don't understand, dad," Sophie said. "You're going to get the kids taken away. There are people out there who want to take away the kids. There are people out there who are just looking for any excuse to do it."

The thought that crossed my mind was that people - adults - had been speaking to my daughter at school. There are always do-gooders out there who might try to "rescue" her. I asked her to clarify, but she stayed away from giving a clear answer.

"And I will fight them," I said. "I will never stop fighting. I can't."

The truth is - I love Sophie. I love her more than she will ever know, and I would never force her into this lifestyle. There is nothing that I want more for her than to be happy. I love all of my children that way.

And it pisses me off - because Sophie is right. There are people out there who would take them away from me forever. How messed up is that? We are a happy family. We are well-adjusted. Why would anyone care enough to even bother with us?

But that is my reason - as much as even Mormon fundamentalists criticize us. I will fight for my rights. And I will go in front of the cameras again and again if it keeps us safe.

Thanks for all the kind words about my blog. There is much more to say, so I hope you will tune in.

9 comments:

Mormon(s) of another kind said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mormon(s) of another kind said...

I do admire your courage and your desire to set the record straight. I hope that segment on French TV will open up some hearts. Many people think the French are very progressive or tolerant, but the truth is, they are not.

The French oppose polygamy (and the Muslim headscarf in public places) because Secularism is their state religion. Any expression of faith is derided, or seen as dangerous. I often have heated debates with friends and family when I go back.

They need to see people like you, so I can't wait for people to see the show and get their reactions. I will share them with you.

Wife Number 3 said...

That is a fear that keeps all of us on our toes and forces us to live "beyond reproach". Once we air, I am very concerned. We have even designed plans to keep the kids safe, planning for the worst, but knowing God will do the best. Sophie, you have to understand deep in the depths of your heart, that your daddy loves you and is going to do whatever it takes to keep you all together. Trust him, and trust Heavenly Father to do works exceedingly and abundantly more than we can ever imagine. Stay strong!!

Steve said...

My wife and I saw "Atlas Shrugged" this weekend. And the PTB used public opinion to violate other rights as well. I see nothing wrong in being pre-emptive about this and in using public opinion for the good guys too.

Best of luck, Moroni.

Steve

Anonymous said...

This is a big concern for many I think and why some hide and some don't. It varies depending on the circumstances of the family. I suspect you are right though that Sophie is being indoctrinated at her school about the whole thing as some do-gooder probably thinks you plan to marry her off into some compound somewhere. Ignorance abounds. To be honest, I hope none of my children choose that life. I'll love and support them if they do, but it is definitely not what I want for them due to the challenges and hardships that come with it. I don't even know if I could choose it for myself at this point.....

Mormon(s) of another kind said...

There is a date for May 29 for their segment on Polygamy. The synopsis talks about a "secular" polygamist in Canada, and of course the controversial practice of polygamy among Muslims in France. Nothing about Mormons, but it's gotta be that show, right? I'm trying to get friends to watch it, and get my mother to tape it, so I can watch it in October when I go and visit.

DH (Dear Husband) said...

I believe you are right Moroni, being in the public eye makes it harder for anyone to plot to take your children from you. Wen polygamist hid they aromatically start think that we are trying to cover up abuse.
The fact is if more of us step out then polygamy will be more accepted. Right now it's us against society and with us doing nothing then society only has the bad press to use as their examples.

Moroni Jessop said...

I just saw the ad, too. Maybe we got edited out of the segment - not interesting enough. LOL

Mormon(s) of another kind said...

I bet they'll show you. It'll go something like: "While France is bracing with the issue of polygamy in its Muslim community, America faces a similar problem with the Mormons".