Thursday, February 26, 2009

To Become a Media Whore, or NOT to Become a Media Whore...



That IS the question…

So I have always felt that my family has been a good example of plural marriage. We don’t have the big, shiny house. We are also not picture perfect. There are arguments. (Even a few LOUD ones.) But we are generally happy. (Although we are starting to learn that being a parent to a teen is much different than being a teen.) Everyone gets along. Martha loves Temple. Temple loves Martha. And if course everyone loves me.

That is the reason that we did the show to begin with. It works for us. Don’t ask me to tell you how or why it works for us. But it does.

And since we are a good example of plural marriage – and not remotely dysfunctional – I decided to do the show. To be an example to people of how plural marriage works, and that we are all not what people think of when they think of polygamy.

Flora the Tweaking Scarecrow did an article this week in Phoenix’s New Times that featured her scrawny form hidden behind a car door with the message painted on it – “Polygamy is Abuse”. Really. Maybe she should also have other obscenities like “Mexicans Are Lazy”, because such statements are equally false.

But I digress…

After we did the first show, I knew that there would be other offers. Deep down, I knew that I could provide a voice for plural marriage. It is something that I feel driven to do.

In the last couple of weeks, I have been approached by a couple of different production companies – one in the UK and one here in the States – both wanting to do something similar.

I don’t know. I’m hesitant. Not because I am afraid to get my name out there as a polygamist. I have no fears or qualms about that at all.

This whole thing caused embarrassment to my extended family. It roused their deep-rooted paranoia to have the media on the “Land”. Even the people I affiliate with religiously disapprove. There are even some in my family (mostly teen daughters) who are angry with me for doing it.

Usually I don’t give a crap what other people think. But when it’s your peers and your family… you do.

So I have the delightful task of deciding if I want to continue what I am doing, what I am driven to do and piss off or alienate everyone around me. Or kowtow to what everyone thinks I should be doing and stay hidden and safe.

What would you do?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's something you need to talk about with those closest to you. Who would you be upset to lose contact with? If someone disappeared from your life tomorrow, who would you grieve for? Those are the ones you should talk to. Who cares what the others think? It's your life...not theirs. I think it's good to show the ignorant that you can live like any other family. :) Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Melanie said...

You have a few options here.
1. Insist your family follow your lead and do whatever you think is right as a united unit, no matter what
2. Go ahead but give your older kids the option to opt out and not participate.
3. When it comes to peers and extended family, i think as long as they are not getting dragged into anything then they should, politely, hush and let you do what you feel led to do. They are not being filmed and identified so it really doesn't effect them.
4. Hold off on media until you have written your story. Tell your story instead of letting these companies tell their versions of it.
.....and if you do more media, don't get stiffed on your fee! You all deserve to get paid well for your time.

YasteFamilyRamblings said...

Hi Moroni..I am an strict follower of your blog..I am not a Fundamentalist Mormon..But I am a Christian Fundamentalist who believes in the concept of plural marriage..I believe it is promoted and blessed by a Living and Holy God in Heaven! Amen:)

My own advice, and I give this as humbly as I can, I would do the show. I believe that there needs to be a positive voice for Polygamist, not just FLDS, but us Christians too. Unfortunately, the raid in TX has made our situation go further underground for fear or ridicule or both. I know that your family might disagree, but you stand before a God in Heaven on your final judgment and your faithful efforts to live your religion freely and without prosecution will be honored. It is our goal at the end of this narrow road to hear "Good and Faithful Servant" Amen! If I would you and in the Patriarch position, I would sit with everyone and explain your feelings and your purpose of doing this. It's to bring freedom for all of us. Although, you might not ever see the freedoms in your life, your children will, if we continue to make small but memorable strides!

God Bless You and Your Wonderful Family,
ChristianFundymom

Arnold said...

Hi Moroni!

I watched the first show.

A few observations:
1. Way to be man! Good for you and your family to do such a thing.
2. You have one of the most compelling voices I have ever heard on the air.
3. I am not happy with the way the show portrayed you guys. The host acted as if she were escaping hell when she left. Hello. Hell is back in the world, Heaven is more in the Jessops' direction.

So I am torn. I am glad you did the show, otherwise I doubt I would have ever known about you and your family. But I feel the media is using good folk like you for dubious reasons.

You folks are the kind of people my wife and I wish we knew more of. Seems that TLC is better at finding you than us though..lol.

Be careful out there. You don't need me to warn you there are witch hunts going on, but hey, there are witch hunts going on.

Too bad you can't break out the white gold and unleash a little wild magic;)