Monday, September 15, 2008

The Polygamist "Carnie"


So I took a temporary job with my brother-in-law Joe. He is an airbrush artist (and a damn good one.) He has decided to due the fair/ carnival circuit and asked me to take orders while he does his art.
It has been fun. I like being a "carnie". It is fun work, I like being with people and it is different to work with young people who describe Joe's work as "tight" or "sick".
This is an example of a shirt that I had Joe did for me. It is a statement that I agree with very much. It expresses my views especially in regard to the anti-polygamy laws, and we have so many unjust laws in our country. I think it is our responsibility as freedom-loving Americans to disregard any laws that violate our liberty. And we have laws that far surpass any tyrannical laws that the British ever imposed on us.
But I digress...
First we did the Coconino County Fair in Flagstaff. Then we moved to the Utah State Fair, which just ended yesterday. It was busy. I worked 12 to 13 hour days, so I have not had much time to enjoy my old stomping grounds of Salt Lake City. I used to live here 15 years ago.
I kept wondering if I would see anyone from my days of hanging around with Utah polygamists back then, but I saw very few people. I saw a polygamist widow that I knew from back then. She did not say anything to me, and I did not say anything to her. What do you say to someone that was an acquaintance from that long ago? I don't even think she recognized me.
Then there was the polygamist man who knows me and saw me, but - for a reason unknown to me - he hates my family. See, polygamists can be just as petty as other people. I debated on whether or not to say hi to him as he stood a few feet off, ignoring me. I knew that he did not like me, but I decided that the "Christian" thing to do would be to greet him. I gave him no choice to acknowledge me, but even then he barely even looked at me. How can I respect someone who shows no respect for me?? I hope he reads this so he knows how petty I think he is.
The fair ended last night, and I checked my email for the first time in a week. I saw that, on YouTube, there is a trailer for "Dawn Porter: Extreme Wife". It airs on September 30. I know I posted the link, but here it is again:
I watched it and was amazed at how stupid that one sentence sounded. "I am a natural polygamist, because I love women soooo much." How gay is that?? Temple thought that I sounded like a womanizer and immediately assumed that they are going to do a hack job on us.
I am trying to think back to what I was talking about. I was talking about how I consider myself a feminist, because I adore everything female. The Sacred Feminine. Stuff like that. But why does the media always have to capture me saying dumb things??
And is my face really that fat???? I looked like an old cholo gang-banger, right out of the joint.
I talked to a good friend in Australia who watched an episode of Dawn Porter's "Super Slim Me." She said that she was very impressed by Dawn and her reporting style. She things the episode will turn out good.
There was a blog post that turned out some decent comments from Dawn:
"The new series, Extreme Wife, in Dawn's words us a look "at issues that women face on a day-to-day basis through extreme situations" These situations are a visit to Japan to become a Geisha. "I felt like a giant pleb with all these beautiful, delicate Geisha women which I was just this guffawing Westerner," said Dawn. On top of that, she looks at the tricky subject of free-love in a hippie commune, mail-order brides and polygamous relationships in the US.

"Through these, she's able to look at some of the more extreme ways that women look for love. Looking back at the mail-order brides in Russia, Dawn told of how she saw the most "predatory instincts of men" come to the fore. Surprisingly, after meeting the American Mormons, she found the experience positive: "Even though there was a lot I couldn't understand, or agree with, it turned out to be one of the most uplifting experiences of them all."
On a sadder note, I am currently sitting in the lobby of the Primary Children's hospital in Salt Lake City with my family. My nephew Jonah passed away this afternoon. He was born on September 5.

No comments: