Monday, October 11, 2010

Sister Wives on TLC

Yesterday, I was actually able to watch the new show "Sister Wives" on TLC, which was a rare treat as I don't have TV at home. I liked it! It did stir up some feelings and memories though, of what it's like to have cameras shoved in your face round the clock.

As a side note, in the past several months, there have been reruns of the show that we did with Dawn Porter on TLC as well as reruns of the show we did on History Channel. But I think it's funny the times that they choose to air them - both of them on Super Bowl Sunday and both of them again during the NBA Playoffs. LOL! The times when everyone will be watching something else. Our ratings were that bad that TLC dusts off our program whenever they have no audience.

But that's neither here nor there...

I remember that they originally pitched the Dawn Porter show at us to be a reality series. Can you imagine? The drab polygamists in the desert with the bright flower Dawn Porter in the middle.... for a whole season?? *shudder* Other production companies pitched series to us - Pink Sneakers, BBC in the UK...

I just can't imagine the stress of having the cameras on us 24/7.

And truth be told, after having watched "Sister Wives" on TLC, I really think that the family on the show - the Kody Brown family - is a much better family for this kind of show. They are very photogenic - Kody looks like he belongs on the Olympic snow team. They are well-adjusted and very smiley.

But most of all, they have a nice house. It's hard to put a good image on something when you are living in a trailer in the desert.

I have never met Kody Brown, even though we used to belong polygamous congregation back in the '90s. My brother-in-law says that I did meet Kody two years ago at the Utah State Fair, but I really don't remember.

But still, it's weird the connections that we have, even though we haven't met.

His wife Meri is a sister to one of my sisters-in-law. But I've never met her. I knew Christine back when we were young and single. I used to have a crush on her sister. But I haven't seen her in over fifteen years. The prospective wife Robyn is a distant cousin of my wife Martha. But I've never met her. When I was sick last year and missed working the Utah State Fair, one of my replacements was Moriah, Meri's daughter.

After watching last night's episode, I think that they are a great family, and I admire them alot. Especially Kody. It was like I looked at him as he addressed certain issues, and I knew what he was thinking. Because I have been there. Like the issue with one wife having fertility issues and being jealous of the other wife having children. I have been there. And I think Kody is handling everything beautifully.

So now, I hear that Utah is investigating the Kody Brown family for potential prosecution. And it breaks my heart. In response to that, I hear other fundamentalist Mormons say, "Well, it serves them right. What did they think would happen going in front of the media? They brought it on themselves!"

And that attitude breaks my heart even more. Somebody has to put themselves out there if we are ever going to make a difference, ever going to be heard. Somebody has to take the risk.

Kody Brown is making a difference for all of us. He is risking himself for all polygamists out there. I don't know if you'll read this, Kody. I'm sure that you are not like me and have better things to do with your time than scan the Internet for things said about you. But I want to say, thank you, Kody, for putting it on the line for me and my family.

6 comments:

DH (Dear Husband) said...

I agree with you on that Kody Brown is trying to make a difference. interesting though my third wife wanted us to be a reality tv show and then again we have lots more drama then the browns lol.

Bored in Vernal said...

I have to say I really admire the ones who put themselves out there. (lookin atcha, Moroni & family!) They can't REALLY do anything to Kody for this... Can they? CAN THEY???

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

It is not whether they CAN do "anything" to the Browns - but WILL they do it?

It is a 3rd degree felony in Utah to "purport" yourself as married to more than one spouse. Using that, and the common law marriage statue, could indeed result in Bigmay charges.

Echoing the sentiments of the Utah State Attorney General's office - Tim Taylor of the Utah County District Attorneys office made the following statement

""Do we want to open this can of worms and maybe have some court of appeals say this statute is unconstitutional?" deputy Utah County Attorney Tim Taylor told Fox 13 on Tuesday. "Is this a test case that we want to go ahead and take up?""

Do the powers that be in Utah want to be the ones to push this to the supreme court, where the anti-bigamy laws will surely be overturned?

The Brown Family has retained Jonathon Turley, one of the premier constitutional lawyers in our country, to represent them.

His take is
"Bigamy is a third-degree felony under Utah law — punishable with up to five years in jail," Turley wrote. "The use of this statute to prosecute the Browns would be in my view unconstitutional. It would also end a long-standing policy to confine prosecutions to those who abuse children or commit such crimes as fraud."

I am thankful to Moroni and his family for getting "out there" and others who have gone before and the Brown family now.

Melanie said...

I am loving this show! Kody is my new super hero! They present as such a warm and positive family, you can't help but like them. Regardless of what the law may do i think a lot of regular people might change their attitudes towards poly families based on this show.

KacysCookbook said...

It is just insane to me the way society is today..on the Maury show they highlight men everyday who have 20+ children they deny and can't take care of, and it is socially acceptable to do that yet let a man honor, love, cherish and be a great father to their children for more than one woman and he is a criminal! I applaud the Brown family and truly appreciate the sacrifices their family is making. I do think the show is going to cast a much more positive light on polygny. It is time for the world to see there are happy poly families out there!