Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Time in the South


THIS BLOG POST WAS WRITTEN BY MY BROTHER TONY ABOUT HIS TIME IN THE SOUTH (WHERE I AM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH HIM.)
The South is a place in America that is rich with history. Within the last seven months, I've had the privilege of working here, and have experienced/witnessed many different things. Above all my memories I'll take with me when I leave is the genuine and heart-felt greeting strangers give one another. I was raised to greet people--even in passing--but to find that when done in the Northeast, people draw back as they pass, cringing with the spoken pleasantry, and frowning as they pass.


I was told by a friend I met, that here, in the South, if one doesn't greet another, then something is wrong with that person.


The beauty of this place is yet another thing I will miss. I have finally found a locale where I'm not incapacitated with allergies. At home in the White Mountains of Arizona, I dread the juniper trees' bi-annual release of pollen. Under a microscope, the pollen has vicious-looking barbs, that within my lung tissue, viciously attach themselves, which leads to an eventual illness, fever, and leaves me just feeling miserable. I'm usually bed-ridden for a couple weeks.


I won't miss the Tiger Mosquitos, and their voracious and aggressive appetite. Or the chiggers. Insect repellent has become a common object among my personal effects.


Each morning I enjoy stopping outdoors, when throwing my trash and listening to the variety of birds that perch upon the branches of the oak, pine, magnolia, birch, willow. Everything is so green out here. Even the vines that reach towards these trees, and envelop the floor, is beautiful. There are squirrels here that have become accustomed to my morning walks to the dumpster and no longer feel threatened by my presence, as they forage for their breakfast.


I also won't miss the mustard barbeque sauce. It's too acidic for my taste, and I always regret having eaten it during the night waking with heartburn.


Easter Saturday (if there is such a day), I was driving back to the hotel after picking up my morning coffee from Circle K and I observed a bearded man with long hair pulling a cross on wheels. I've seen a similar character in the Phoenix valley before, but what struck me profoundly, is that as I passed, he passed a woman hired by Liberty Taxes, dressed in a greened-copper-colored gown, with a crown to match, who smiled from the sidewalk and waved at the passing vehicles, then turned to wave with equal excitement to the man with the roller-cross. I couldn't help but grin and shake my head as I turned onto Chris Drive.


Another thing I shall not miss are the smelly poultry trucks that pass each day--carrying stacks of cages filled with fryers headed towards their demise.


I will miss the cuisine. Southern cooking is within a league of their own. I love cooking vegetables in olive oil, and let them steam with their own moisture, but was thrilled to discover that Southerners cook theirs in pork fat, which lends to an explosion of flavor in every bite. I even was amused by the disclaimer Lizard's Thicket has on their tables--that the vegetables are cooked with animal products.


I'll miss Bojangle's. Some of the best and cheapest chicken I've had from fast-food, as well as the legendary french fries from Checker's. And I'll miss the mac 'n' cheese, that seems to be more of a staple here than grits. It's not like the Kraft variety--it's baked with egg, cheese, butter. The top is browned to a crust, and, wow. Comfort food that really gives one comfort.


I'll miss the balmy weather, and the occasional whiff from the sea. Seeing the Spanish moss hang from the trees in Charleston, and seeing the many historic structures there was a visual delight. I half expected seeing women in hoop-skirts emerging from those homes, with their umbrellas casually perched on their shoulders as we passed by. And the sand at Sullivan's Island--so fine that a gust of wind would stir it onto my lips.


I honestly hope that one day work brings me in this direction again. I'll miss all those with whom I've had the pleasure of meeting, and they will always have a fond place within my heart. If you ever get the opportunity to visit the South--do so. The Carolinas and Georgia are beautiful places to see, but even more,there is an abundance of beautiful places at which to eat.

No comments: