Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Correspondence with Christine Marie Katas of Voices For Dignity

Recently, I had a correspondence with Christine Marie Katas of Voices of Dignity, who is also a member of anti-polygamist group, Sound Choices Coalition.  It was in regard to a post that I had made here.  In the post, I had included a black-and-white photo of women in KKK garb.  It was intended to draw an emotional response, and I admit that it was inflammatory on my part.  I have removed the photo at Ms. Katas's request.

Here is what she wrote to me:

Brother Moroni, I did not make up those statistics, my friend. They came from medical studies and other research submitted to and examined by the Chief Justice Bauman of British Columbia Supreme Court after "the most comprehensive judicial record on the subject ever produced, I have concluded that the Attorneys General and their allied Interested Persons have demonstrated a very strong basis for a reasoned apprehension of harm to many in our society inherent in the practice of polygamy..." 

If you would like to review the research and rationale for the decision yourself, you can study it right here: http://stoppolygamy.com/court-decision-on-polygamy/

I was sharing the facts of the court. My opinion was that creative thinking and collaboration should be explored in an attempt to make a difference. By no means did that make me part of a hate group.

That's silly. I care about the welfare of women and children - that did not merit posting a photo of the KKK. That photo is offensive even to look at. I have many African American friends. It would hurt them even to know a photo like that still exists and is being posted on the Internet. Put yourself in their shoes. Would you be so kind as to remove it?

I believe our time and energy would be better spent building friendships, collaborating, and figuring out how to change those harmful facts. 

No one wants to see people harmed. I am sure that is one area where we are in agreement, right? I am sure the solutions are out there. I hope you find them.

Kind regards,

Christine Marie



And here is my response:

Sister Christine,

I have taken the photo down at your request. First, because you requested it. And second, because you actually have made an effort to have a dialogue with the polygamous society. That is more than many of your contemporaries have done.

You have referred me to some research that corroborates your claims. I ask you the question - was this research done exclusively with the communities in British Columbia (FLDS and the Blackmore communities)? I would like to point out that many fundamentalist Mormons would not find any common ground with these communities - culturally, doctrinally, or socially. To me, it is akin to doing a polygamy study on Muslims and then applying that data to Mormons. We do NOT want to be painted with the same brush that is used to portray the FLDS, and other extreme groups.

I lived as a polygamist for 13 years, and, whereas my attempt has failed, it had nothing to do with polygamy. But the internet record speaks that for more than a decade, I have publicly spoken out against abuse (mental, physical, and emotional). I have spoken out against child marriages and arranged marriages. I worked for 9 years as a social worker, and used my knowledge as an advocate to get polygamous families to speak to the government and human service agencies.

So when you say that you have done a very detailed study in British Columbia, I believe you. But I do not feel it represents me, or the people I associate with.

You indicate that you are open to have dialogue with polygamous families to change that. I applaud that. And for that, I offer my sincere apologies for my post, which could be considered inflammatory. I am truly sorry. This is an emotional topic. I love my children more than anything in this world; I live for them. And the thought that a government agency and/ or advocacy group would take them away from me just because I am/ was a polygamist is terrifying to me. I was already witnessing hateful people WHO DID NOT KNOW ME spreading lies and speaking to the media about me. That is when I decided to go public and speak to the media, including starting this blog. So if I misrepresented you, I am sorry. I welcome any dialogue.

Please continue to speak to polygamists and draw them out of the shadows. Because it is in the shadows that the crimes are committed. Coming into the light and being able to converse is what will help us all.

Thanks again for responding,

Moroni Jessop

PS Perhaps I can refer you to "Polygamous Families in Contemporary Society" (Atlman, Ginat, 1996) which concludes that abuse and dysfunction do not occur in any greater rates in polygamous families than monogamous families.









2 comments:

Christine Marie K said...

Hi Moroni! For some reason I did not see your response until today. I think it was thoughtful and respectful, and I honor that and thank you. I agree with you on many points you made. By the way, the studies that were used as evidence in Canada were not done by me, but by experts in different areas who referenced different communities. I defer to them. I will read the text you mention when I have time - can you send me a link? I will give you my opinion. Under no circumstances do I think families should be broken up because of polygamy. Abuse, yes. Still, does that mean polygamy is in the best interest of children when their father has so little time for each of them? Or the wives? Just the loneliness alone seems like so much suffering to me. Anyway, thank you again for your respectful response. That was really awesome!

Unknown said...

Christine, I have seen you on the show escaping polygamy many times. I loved the work you did with children on the show taking them in your home and under your wing. Never did I realize until seeing your episode of dangerous persuasions did I realize everything you have been through. I just wanted to say as a surviving sex trafficking
victim myself that I applaud the work you do and it was very heartwarming to say the least to see someone willing to go on TV and express what they've been through. To say I was in tears and filled with love from relatability is an understatement. please keep doing what you're doing and don't stop being the awesome sassy lady that you are. My thoughts are with you along with my love, Katelyn cook