Saturday, August 20, 2011

Keeping Sour


So no sooner did I get a chance to look at the transcript on NPR's website, that I noticed that there were already comments on it. Especially from one person going under the name "Keeping Sweet".

"How is Mr. Jessop supporting his 11 children, given that he has been out of work for quite some time according to his own blog ? Do they require government assistance ? Should the taxpayers be paying for children he cannot afford ? A reporter mentioned that Mr.Jessop's wives who were featured in a television special lived in squalor in trailers, and his daughter does not want "the lifestyle" she was raised in - that speaks volumes... Show us a polygamous arrangement wherein the first wife is delighted and she has been in the lifestyle for over 10 yrs., the family is self supporting, and the female children want the lifestyle too. I am thinking that there are not too many polygamous families like that."

*sigh* Here we go, yet again.

1) Where have I ever said on my blog that I have been out of work for some time? It is true that I have fallen on tough times, with some health issues. But I work here and there, whenever I can.

2) I am a taxpayer. I have been all of my life.

3) The reporter mentioned that we were in ONE trailer. My family now lives in two. I am constantly trying to improve our living conditions to make our lives more comfortable. I think I have done a pretty, damn good job.

4) My kids are happy and well-adjusted. They eat well. They are clothed well. They are clean. They are getting a public education. Any one who has watched any TV segment can see that clearly. They are well-loved and well-cared for.

5) My daughter is NOT having my beliefs forced down her throat. THAT speaks volumes.

6) Martha has been the first wife in a plural marriage for over twelve years. Ask her if she is happy! I am willing to bet that she will say yes. In fact, she has had several times to defend her choice in front of the public many, many times. I know many wives who are pleased with their situation. I know many other plural families that are happy in their situation.

And finally... This person with the name "Keeping Sweet" (an FLDS catchphrase) knows all about my blog and posts about it within hours of the radio broadcast? That is a little creepy... THAT is what speaks volumes!

Can anyone say "anti"????

First of all, the name "Keeping Sweet" shows that they have affiliation of some sort with the FLDS. I am not associated with the FLDS. The Warren Jeffs trail/ travesty is as alien to me as it is to the rest of the public.

To me, this seems like some very misdirected, meth-addled rage and vitriol.

I have been telling people on some of my forums that hate groups against polygamists are very real. I call them "hate groups", because that is what they are founded upon - hate. Race hate groups use racial slurs and stereotypes. Hate groups against lifestyle groups like homosexuals use unscientific rhetoric and false assumptions to bash gays. No one listens to them or gives them credibility. So tell me - why is it that so many in the media gives credence and audience to the anti-polygamist hate groups? These hate groups make unsubstantiated claims like "polygamy is inherently abusive", and "all polygamist men are control freaks", or "all polygamist women are unhappy", or "all polygamists are on welfare", etc. These are NEGATIVE STEREOTYPES. You might as well say something like, "All Mexicans are lazy." (I am Mexican, btw.)

And yet they go onto the news networks and spout this discriminatory, inflammatory garbage, and people listen to them.

Why? Because Mormon polygamists are one of the last minority groups that is okay to HATE.

And like every hate group, they have their insidious modus operandi. They sling mud and shit and try to discredit polygamists through lies, exaggeration and slander. They create fake personas on social media networks, pretending to be "friends", but really try to gather information. If they are discovered, they make false accusations.

It would be one thing if they were AGAINST polygamy, but wanted to bring their grievances to the table and have dialogue with the polygamists. But they don't. Safety Net has invited the anti-polygamists to their meetings between polygamists and government agencies to try to resolve problems. The antis NEVER accept. Why? Because the government wants to have dialogue with the polygamists. And that is unacceptable to them.

The antis never want to admit that there are normal, good and honest people that live polygamy. They never want to admit that there are some who don't fit their stereotype. They want to paint us all the same. And they want nothing more than to see us all destroyed, our children taken away from us, and polygamy wiped off the face of the earth.

They want nothing short of ethnic cleansing...

Fascism is alive and well today. And it is "keeping sweet".





1 comment:

Cara Carmangia said...

Don't let the negativity get to you. People are becoming more accepting everyday. People who have such strong feelings need to worry more about themselves. These are relationships between consenting adults. This isn't a man having an affair. This is a man stepping up and taking care of the women and children he loves.
And who hasn't fallen on hard times right now. That should be an even bigger endorsement of plural marriage. Multiple incomes can help to keep a family a float.
People need to mind their own business and not be so proud of their own situations. You never know when that can come crashing down around you. At least Mr. Jessop's family will have each other to lean on. And if you believe as I do, family is the most important thing, second to God, that anyone will have in their lifetime.