Friday, January 1, 2010

History Channel's "Strange Rituals: Forbidden Sex" on TV Last Night; Also the TLC Show


So it was ironic that I was commenting yesterday on doing the TV show for TLC as a significant part of the last decade. I posted a link to the blog on my Facebook.

Later in the evening, an old friend from high school said they saw me on TV. I was confused and made some inquiries. TLC was showing a Forbidden Love marathon – exactly like they did last New Year, including the episode with my family. Twice.

We were sitting down to a ham dinner for New Year’s Eve when we found out. It was strange to realize that as we were sitting there, people all across the nation were watching us on TV while we ate.

Temple shook her head. “It’s like beating a dead horse!” she said. “How many times can they show that program? They need to come up with some new material.”

My daughter Sophie was out babysitting for the night. We looked at each other. It has only been recently since she has stopped being angry about being on the show (and so prominently featured). What would she think about being on again?

Several of my friends watched the show and commented about it to me. A high school friend said this about it:

“So Holy Hell Moroni - I hid the remote and would not let my husband surf during commercials lest I miss your segment and my husband says "um, you're really into this polygamy show, uuuh, do you want another woman in this house?", with this total look of confusion and a little bit of terror. I laughed soooooo hard, I almost peed myself, so thanks for that :) Guess I forgot to mention that I knew you hehe...”

To make matters more interesting, Temple got a text from her sister-in-law. There was a show called “Strange Rituals: Forbidden Sex” starting on History Channel within a few minutes. In the description of the show, it said (among other things): “In modern Arizona, the Jessop family continues to practice Mormon polygamy, at the constant risk of arrest.”

I knew what this was about. After Dawn left, Pascal – the director – stayed for an extra day, along with the cameraman and the sound guy. When Pascal was asked to shoot the show for Dawn Porter, he had a conflicting project he was working on. The compromise was that he could shoot an extra day worth of footage for a project he was working on for History Channel.

He told me that it would air sometime in January, 2009, and when it didn’t, I thought that the project had died. Apparently not. It aired twice last night as well.

I liked the way that shoot went. I was asked a lot of the same questions, but I felt like I answered them a lot better. It was also a lot more relaxed.

I didn’t get a chance to see it, but I was on the phone with my good friend Becca in Texas while she watched it. I could hear most of it on the phone. For the first segment, they focused on interviewing Martha and Temple. This pleased them, because they were none too pleased when their interviews got cut from the TLC show.

The second segment showed a little bit with me. And then they showed the infamous confrontation between me and my neighbor when he came up the hill and started yelling at me! They blurred out his face, and they kind of put an incorrect spin on it, that he was a neighbor with a chip on his shoulder because we are polygamists.

Becca commented: “BTW, they didn't mention what you told me about the neighbor... just showed him asking what you were doing up there while you walked down the hill reminding him he was actually on your property… *snicker* They blurred out his face and made him seem like a paranoid neighbor in general…”

There was a time when I was embarrassed by this exchange. Now I think it is kind of funny.

I only hope I have a chance to see this show. Just when you think it’s over…


.

4 comments:

Becca said...

You will see it.... we have it burned to DVD so I will be mailing you a copy to hang on to for you and the lovely ladies...

Unknown said...

Is there any way you guys can help me to obtain a copy of the DVD as well ? I am on social security and can't afford to buy it and I do not have cable.

If so, please email me, Paul Martin at drpaulsmartin@yahoo.com.

KacysCookbook said...

The Strange Rituals show seemed a LOT more respectful of you and your family Moroni..enjoyed both but definitely liked that one a lot better.

willson said...

Interesting… I might try some of this on my blog, too. It’s quite interesting how you sometimes stop being innovative and just go for an accepted solution without actually trying to improve it… you make a couple of good points.

trends technology