Thursday, August 18, 2011

NPR: Tell Me More


I have not been blogging lately. Mainly because issues have come up in my life that have made me question how I do my blog, why I do my blog, if I should do my blog, etc. I will be talking about some of these matters later.

I will start my story here:

Last week, I was in Missoula, Montana. Even though every year, I have health issues, I had tried - FOR MYSELF - to see if I could do the fair circuit again. I took every precaution and preparation that I could to prevent health issues from cropping up. After a few weeks in Montana, the sore opened up on the bottom of my foot.

One evening, after taking my shoe off, and finding my sock soaked in my own blood, and seeing the tiny hole that was tunneling into my foot, I threw in the towel. I have to admit that I am now limited in what I can do. I decided to fly home in order to heal.

The next morning, I got an email from Sarah at NPR in Washington DC. They were doing a segment on their program "Tell Me More". The segment is called "Faith Matters". The whole purpose of the show is to address minority groups that are commonly misrepresented in society. "Faith Matters" takes it a step further and addresses religious groups. My segment would - of course - deal with polygamy in America.

I set up a pre-interview on the phone with Sarah, and, early one morning from our campground, we spoke. I found her to be very respectful and polite.

I posted Facebook about it that day. I got a positive response. Some people joked that I am not boring enough to be on NPR. I beg to differ.

Sarah also called and spoke briefly to my wives about it. But I basically decided to do it. I was booking my flight home due to health reasons anyway.

When they called to confirm the interview, they said that it would be me and a plural wife that would also be interviewed.

"This isn't going to be like a point-counterpoint interview is it?" I asked. "Kind of like Nancy Grace?"

She assured me that it was not. They wanted to give polygamists a chance to speak for themselves, especially in light of "Sister Wives" and the notorious Warren Jeffs trial.

"Well, who is the wife being interviewed?" I asked. "It really is a small community, so I might actually know who it is."

"For confidentiality issues, I really can't say," Sarah told me.

That night, I got an email from Julie, from Wisconsin.

"I am the other person being interviewed!" she said.

I was relieved. At least it was someone I know. Well, (I know her online, at least. She is on many of the forums that I belong to, including being one of my Facebook friends.

So yesterday, she booked me into a local radio station in Show Low, AZ (KQAZ). I walked into the radio station at the appointed time. All the employees at the station looked up at me as the "NPR guest" walked in. Andrew, the engineer, got me set up in one of the booths. He is a recent transplant, just having moved from Kansas City. I have no clue if he knew who or what I am. But he sure got an earful very soon.

They linked us up through the interview - me in Show Low, Arizona. Julie in Milwaukee. And the host, Tony Cox, in Washington, DC. After walking us through some technical issues. (For my part, all I had to do was say, "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers" twice while they adjusted my mic volume.)

Then without much preamble, Tony Cox launched into our interview. It was a little daunting. I think I prefer having a camera in my face. Wearing the headphones, you can hear every little nuance and flaw of your voice, repeated right back in your ear. I didn't like it. Listening to yourself swallow nervously for millions of people.

Julie did beautifully. She truly did represent. She was eloquent, pleasant and confident. I think I came across as nervous and stupid.

I was only asked three questions:

1) Are there any negative aspects to plural marriages?
2) How many children do you have?
3) Do you want your children to follow in your foot steps?

Listen tomorrow to "Tell Me More" on NPR to find out how I answered! As soon as I have the online link, I will post it.

I think all in all, the NPR staff were very friendly, professional and respectful. They treated us and the topic with dignity.

After it was all over, Tony Cox was concerned. "Did we treat this topic in a way your were comfortable with?" he asked me.

It is nice to have people actually concerned with how they treat you...


4 comments:

Steve said...

I hope it comes off well. How did Julie know you were the other interviewee?

Wife Number 3 said...

You did not sound nervous and stupid! Honestly, to me, you sounded tired! You handled yourself very well. I wish they had asked you more, though. I totally felt like I was the only one talking :( Who knows, maybe we can do this more. Rich is so excited for our family to show the world how this works...

DR said...

Moroni, I'm glad it went well. My own experience with NPR has always been good. I'm looking forward to hearing the interview!

Natja's Natterings said...

It was a good interview Moroni, I was really impressed!