Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rule: "Never Rub Another Man's Rhubarb"

Despite the media-perpetuated stereotype, I think it is safe to say that most Mormon polygamists don't support underage or forced marriages.  The FLDS concept of having priesthood leaders arrange a marriage is alien - and sickening - to me.  To me, it violates the basic Mormon tenet of free agency taught by our founder, Joseph Smith.  This teaches that all men - and women - have the capacity to act as agents for themselves, being able to choose good or evil.

That doesn't mean that the rest of the polygamy world is not free of problems and abuses.  I have never tried to candy-coat the culture of polygamy, nor have I tried to candy-coat my own marriages.  This lifestyle is challenging and will try you to the core.  A man must constantly work at his relationships, or else this will consume him.

As I commented a couple of posts back, there are challenges in finding a woman who is willing to share her husband with another woman, and even more challenges in finding a single woman who is willing to enter into this lifestyle.  Some men become desperate in their quest.

In my list of pet peeves in that post, someone pointed out that I missed one of my greatest dislikes - and that is polygamist men who try to move in on other men's wives.

This irks me to no end, and this is one of the greatest problems that one finds in the Groups.  It bugs me, because it diminishes the free agency of a woman and turns her into property, into chattel.  The greatest gift that a woman can give is her choice of staying with a man, and these men who try to persuade women to leave their husbands are the worst kind of predators.

There is a Christian ministry (that I have nothing against) that my wives and I have "liked" on Facebook.  I have got a few friend requests from people on this site.  My wives have been inundated by friend requests from various men that saw them on the site.  It didn't matter that the girls were married to me, these men showed interest in them.  One woman I know said that a man actually tried to entice her a way from her husband by asking her, "Wouldn't you want to be with a more godly man?"

This problem is notorious in larger polygamist groups.  In marital disputes, it is almost a cliche that Priesthood Councils will rule in favor of the woman, and instead of encouraging her to work problems out, they encourage her to leave the husband.  Why?  Because she becomes "available".

I knew one man with two wives who went out of town to get a job and to find a new house for his family.  It was assumed that he had abandoned his wives, and some very "friendly" and "concerned" men came out of the woodwork to "check" on these poor wives.

Don't get me wrong - if I die, I would want my wives to remarry, and find someone they could love for the remainder of their lives.  But marriage covenants, in my belief, are eternal, and, unless I am abusive or adulterous, I deserve a chance to work things out with my wives and improve my relationships with them.

This predatory aspect of plural marriage has always bothered me, because some men try and do what would never occur to me.  I would NEVER try to make a move on another man's wife!  If you are desperate to live polygamy, have some patience and find a single lady.  And after you propose to her, give her some space and let her make her own decision.  It is worth a lot more if she winds up with you because it was her choice, and not because you smooth-talked her or coerced her into it.

And trying to steal another man's wife?  Adultery.  Plain and simple.  I don't care what priesthood calling you have.  It's adultery.  To quote Jack Nicholson, "Never rub another man's rhubarb."

Next, I will talk about courting...

8 comments:

Becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becca said...

*nods* Yup, I know exactly the tomfoolery you speak of. I would say to those men in that particular group of which I am aware that even *if* they could *steal* a wife, if he could do so then how soon before he loses all of his wives the same way. Monkey see, monkey do after all. I have dealt with this on a few occasions and some of them are blantant in it as well. I frankly don't care if my husband were a complete heathen (he is not of course), it STILL doesn't provide a convenient excuse. I would caution men from that certain "christian" group to remember the sin David committed with Bathsheba. It was not taking another wife, it was taking another man's wife and David paid for it with the life of his son he had with Bathsheba. That was HIS punishment. Bathsheba on the other hand of course, for her faithfulness in staying with the man who made her a widow, gave birth to Solomon who eventually suceeded his father as ruler. The point being, there is a price men for such acts. Be sure, with no doubt, it will come back to bite you in your hindparts.

DH (Dear Husband) said...

Unfortantly this is all becoming too often the case in current polygamy groups. I was actually email by a jack ass that told me that I was doing a discervice to my wives becuase i was not godly and of course he considers himself Godly.
I have watched men flirt with my wives as well It irks me. Also I will never forget the one man that told my First wife that if she needed a break she can come down by him.....

Unknown said...

Stealing another man's wife is adultery, plain and simple. Yes so true. But you posted this blogpost on the AUB site and then said in your blog post that the biggest problem with the priesthood groups is men trying to steal other men's wives. This is not true! I'm sure it happens but it is NOT COMMON. I know, I've been a part of the AUB all my life and I'm a woman.
That might be true about the FLDS or the Kingstons and I'm sorry you have associated with such creepy people.
I have to tell you this is not normal or acceptable.
Maybe you are a little paranoid because your wives are cute and you are slightly... wide? and you are worried about some creep stealing them away. But you don't need to worry if you are married to godly women, which I assume that you are.

Moroni Jessop said...

I wasn't trying to make it about any group.

BUT...

As far as the AUB goes - are you kidding me? Are you not aware of the stereotype that abounds about the AUB? The FLDS have child brides, the Kingstons marry relatives, and the AUB are wifeswappers.

There was even a professional study done by a feminist author who concluded that - in the AUB - a woman can gain more power by marrying up the food chain.

I know many, many men who tell the same story - that the Council aided directly in giving releases, and soon that woman was married to someone, right on the Council. That is hardly partial.

As much as I loved Owen Allred, even HE was guilty of the same.

And I'm insecure about losing my wives? Because I'm fat? Really?? Where did that come from? What does that have to do with anything? But you are right - I still can't figure out why they are with me.

R. wizard said...

Moroni,
As to the AUB woman, "Me thinks thou dost protest too much." I have had my new hubby's BFF hit on me & his first wife make herself a meddler in the middle of my family drama, as we r newly weds. I love my hubby & his BFF is a great guy who, I think; got caught up in the romance of our whirlwind courtship. It's a lil creepy how some Independents will even target a girl B4 she's old enough & wait until she is & then start grooming her for themselves. I haven't introduced my girls to our friends for this reason. It happens & it will continue until society's view of Poly changes.
Thank you for the wonderful comments. I am a little fluffy around the middle & it has nothing to do w/ how much ur worth.

R. wizard said...

Ur a little too defensive on a topic u say doesn't apply. W/in the Poly community the AUB has a rep fro the exact things Moroni speaks about.

Insulting Moroni about his weight only makes u look a fool w/ no real argument to support ur side. R u always cruel to people who don't agree w/ u? Lucky hubby & SW's u have.

Moroni Jessop said...

LOL! Thanks for your commets! We see eye to eye on that.